What your video game system says about you
Today we’re releasing a new report called “Console Tribes: What Your Video Game System Says About You.” The report explores differences in demographics, game preferences, leisure attitudes, media choices and other factors among fans of each of the 3 dominant gaming consoles: Wii, Xbox, and PS3.
Here’s the executive summary:
- Age is likely a contributing causal factor for game console affinity, with fans of the appropriate age to remember the 1980s having a greater affinity for Wii versus Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.
- Fans of all platforms skew overwhelmingly male, but the Wii is the relatively most attractive console to women.
- Wii fans are more likely to be established in their families and careers, while Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 fans are primarily bachelors.
- Although the Xbox 360 has been available in the worldwide market much longer than the Playstation 3, the Playstation 3 resonates better with international markets.
- Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 fan groups show a divide with certain North American shared experiences.
- The affinity for sports felt by Xbox 360 fans and Playstation 3 fans is reflected in their belief that the issue of steroid usage in professional sports has been overblown by news media.
- Wii fans enjoy celebrity gossip more than Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 fans.
- There is a significant overlap in popular games offered for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, with first-person shooters comprising the majority of preferred titles.
- Nintendo Wii fans are much more nostalgic than their Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 counterparts, which is reflected in their game choices.
- All console fans enjoy group activities such as poker or football with greater frequency than the overall Hunch community.
- Wii fans are less avid in their video game consumption than their Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 counterparts.
- Wii fans tend to be more solitary in their work, and consider work to be a part of their identity.
- While Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 fans enjoy group work, they tend to be less politically active.
- Xbox 360 fans are less concerned with physical interpersonal interactions, and will interrupt real world interactions in favor of digital interactions.
Print Media Preferences
- Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 fans are more engaged in sporting culture than Wii fans, as evidenced through their reading preferences.
- Wii fans are more interested in local news and tabloid journalism than other console fans.
…and a sample analysis graph to pique your interest:
Check out the full report in pdf format!